SAVANNAH, GA (August 29, 2014) – The Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police department will be making sure citizens and visitors have a safe Labor Day weekend.
The Traffic Enforcement Unit will be partnering with other agencies to keep an eye on the roads. Here are some safety tips they would like to pass along to motorists:
1. Insure your vehicle is mechanically sound
2. Don’t speed, leave early giving yourself ample travel time
3. Wear your seatbelt
4. Don’t drink and drive
5. Don’t drive distracted (cell phone use)
The SCMPD’s Marine Patrol Unit will be keeping our waterways safe. They would like to remind boaters to be smart out on the water.
1. Make sure there are enough life jackets on board for each passenger plus a throwable floatation device.
2. Tell someone where you intend to go, and an approximate time that you plan to return.
3. If you plan to drink alcohol beverages be sure to have a designated driver, a person that is familiar with your boat and can operate the vessel.
4. Before you leave the dock, check to make sure you have all required safety equipment.
5. If you plan on being out after dark, check all your navigation light and have flares on board.
6. Remember, Georgia Law requires that the operator have his/her identification and boat registration on board
7. Be safe, have fun