SAVANNAH, GA (Aug. 5, 2014): Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Chief Julie Tolbert briefed media representatives today on 21 shootings that have taken place in the city since July 7. The shootings involved 24 victims. Two have died.
Tolbert said the suspects and victims were familiar with each other in 11 cases; three shootings were confirmed or believed to have been self-inflicted; six of the victims refused to cooperate with police investigators; at least three incidents involved drug connections; and police have made arrests in three cases with arrests in three others pending.
Tolbert said the number of shootings were as frustrating to police as they are to the rest of the community and that steps have been taken to prevent as many shootings as possible.
Patrol Maj. Richard Zapal went over each case individually, including:
- July 7: A victim was shot in the left hand on the 1200 block of East 55th Street at 8:59 a.m. Police have confirmed the shooting was self-inflicted.
- July 9: A victim reported he was shot in the ankle at West 39th and Burroughs Street at 2:28 a.m. Two bags of marijuana were found on the victim at the hospital and a firearm was recovered at the location. A dark blue vehicle was seen in the area but police suspect the wound could have been self-inflicted.
- July 9: A victim was shot in the buttocks and hamstring on the 700 block of Fruit Street at 7:46 p.m. The victim was dropped off at the hospital. The victim has told police a man with the street name “Benny” was the shooter. No crime scene was found.
- July 10: A victim was shot in the upper right leg/groin area at 12:35 a.m. He is cooperating with the investigation and described two black males in dark clothing with “nappy” hair and 5-11 to 6-0 in height.
- July 13: A victim was shot in the right hand on the 900 block of Adell Street at 2:33 a.m. The victim is cooperating with investigators but no suspect has been identified. The victim was arrested a week earlier for possession of a stolen fire arm.
- July 16: A victim was shot in the leg at Whitaker and Hall streets at 8:33 p.m. during a robbery attempt. A composite drawing has been distributed by police in search of the suspect.
- July 17: A victim was shot in the stomach at 12:45 a.m. on the 200 block of West Henry Street. The victim refuses to cooperate with investigators. Police suspect the shooting was drug-related.
- July 17: A victim was shot in the neck area at Abbott and Chester streets at 1:07 a.m. He called a family member to take him to a hospital instead of police. He is not cooperating with the investigation.
- July 17: A victim was shot in the back at Ash and NE 36th streets at 8:22 p.m. The victim cooperated with investigators in this shooting and the shooter was identified. However, a month earlier, the victim and the suspect had fought at Daffin Park and the victim’s father had been shot. They refused to cooperate with investigators at that time. The same shooter is suspected in both shootings.
- July 18: A victim was shot multiple times on the 700 block of West 39th Street. The victim cooperated with investigators and the suspect has been identified.
- July 18: Two victims were shot, one fatally, on the 1200 block of Seiler Avenue. One victim is cooperating with investigators. Drugs are suspected.
- July 19: A victim was shot in the right knee on the 800 block of East Gwinnett Street at 2:50 a.m. He is not cooperating with investigators and was heard telling witnesses not to cooperate as well.
- July 22: A victim was shot in the neck on the 2800 block of Capitol Street at 6:45 p.m. He cooperated with investigators and a suspect has been arrested and charged.
- July 23: A victim was shot in the leg at East 54th Street and Waters Avenue at 12:04 a.m. The victim is not cooperating with investigators.
- July 24: A victim was shot in the right knee and left leg at West 36th and Florance streets at 3:08 a.m. The suspect was known to the victim who is cooperating with investigators.
- July 27: Three victims were shot on the 1500 block of East 55th Street. They knew the suspects and are cooperating with investigators.
- July 28: A victim was shot in the left thigh on the 600 block of West Gwinnett Street at 6:51 p.m. He refuses to answer questions or cooperate with investigators.
- July 30: A victim was fatally shot near the 100 block of Hampstead Avenue.
- Aug 1: A victim was shot in the left groin area on the 500 block of East 34th Street at 12:04 p.m.
- Aug. 3: A victim was shot in the neck and arm on the 1900 block of Waters Avenue. The victim knew the suspect, is cooperating with investigators and an arrest is pending.
- Aug. 3: A victim was shot in the left on the 5200 block of Cordell Street. His roommate was arrested.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A FULL COPY OF SHOOTING RECAPS AS A .PDF SLIDESHOW
Public Affairs Administrator-
Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department
Leave a Reply