Join SPD – Step Forward
- NEW HIGHER SALARIES– newly certified police officers start at $50,013!
- Comprised of more than 500 sworn officers and 100 civilian employees, we are always actively recruiting qualified men and women who have a passion to serve.
- Savannah is a historic community that’s just a few miles from the beach.
- We are a diversified police department that fully embraces the philosophy of community-oriented policing.
- SPD has close military ties with Savannah’s Hunter Army Airfield. Ft. Stewart is just a few miles to the south and Parris Island is to the north.
- The Savannah Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
SPD Background Standards
DRIVER’S LICENSE HISTORY MUST NOT CONTAIN:
■ DUI/DWI charge with the disposition of Nolo Contendre, conviction or plea within the past five years, and no two in the past seven years.
■ Suspensions in the past three years (except for one Insurance Cancellation) and no two suspensions in the past seven years.
■ No more than three moving violations in the past two years and no more than six in the past seven years. Vehicular Homicide or Hit and Run charge/arrests.
■ Fleeing or Attempting to Elude the Police charge/arrests.
CRIMINAL HISTORY MUST NOT CONTAIN:
■ Pending Criminal cases.
■ Convictions, Nolo Contendre or pleas involving Sexual Offenses, Domestic Violence Act or Impersonation of a Police Officer, Perjury or False Statements.
■ Felony convictions and Nolo Contendre or pleas involving felony arrests including First Offender pleas. Serious Misdemeanor Convictions, Nolo Contendre or pleas including First Offender pleas.
THOSE WITH PRIOR LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE:
■ Currently under investigation by certifying agency (i.e. POST).
■ Any disciplinary action or sustained complaint for offenses of a serious nature, which includes, but is not limited to, sexual harassment, untruthfulness, insubordination or use of force.
■ Any pending disciplinary action or internal investigation.
APPLICANTS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
■ Untruthfulness or the omission of information throughout the application process. Anything other than an Honorable Discharge from Armed Forces.
■ Membership or association with any hate or terrorist group. Unsatisfactory work history within the past three years.
■ Unsatisfactory information derived from extensive background investigation. Distribution or sale of a controlled substance.
■ No Marijuana consumption within the past year.
■ Use of any controlled substance to include marijuana; however, any use of a controlled substance, including marijuana, which is deemed to be experimental will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
How to Apply ?
STEP 1: APPLY
APPLY ONLINE – City of Savannah Application
- Upload Documents in PDF format onto the online application before submitting.
- You will be contacted by SPD via e-mail if eligible for testing. Please be sure to check your e-mail Inbox and Spam/Junk folders.
STEP 2: TESTING
Approximately 2-4 Days
- Select Testing Dates in Savannah. For testing dates click here!
- Georgia Peace Officers Standards & Training Exam (i.e. Compass, SAT, ACT)
- Physical Fitness Assessment
- Oral Board
- Polygraph Exam
Approximately 4-8 Weeks
- Background Investigation
Approximately 2-4 Days
- Conditional Offer (PLEASE NOTE: This does NOT guarantee employment)
- Final Interview for Employment
- Medical Exam
- Psychological Evaluation
STEP 3: TRAINING
33-week Training Course for Newly Certified Officers
- 11 WEEKS– Georgia Mandated Peace Officer Training Course.
- 4 WEEKS– Patrol School
- 15 WEEKS– Problem-Based Learning / “Hands-on” Field Training.
The Savannah Police Department pays for all training, uniforms, and gear.
There is a 12-month probationary employment period that starts after completion of the 27-week (Newly Certified Officers) or 16-week (Prior Certified Officers) training period.
Have questions not already addressed on the webpage?
Contact the Recruiting unit. – E-Mail the Recruiting Unit
Call the Recruiting unit (912) 651-4226
The SPD Recruiting Office is commanded by Lt. Dana Purvis – E-mail Lt. Purvis