SAVANNAH, GA (December 21, 2015): Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police urge citizens to be vigilant in using post-holiday practices that decrease the odds of falling victim to criminal activity. SCMPD has issued 10 crime prevention tips to keep citizens safe during the post-holiday season.
- Do not leave unwrapped gifts visible through your home’s exterior windows.
- Break down all original gift packaging. Place packaging in plastic trash bags and secure items in a sealed garbage bin until pick up. Also, consider keeping broken down boxes inside your home until sanitation workers come for pickup.
- Inscribe high priced items such as televisions, computers and other electronics with an identification number unique to the owner. Do not use social security numbers.
- Take inventory of newly gifted items. Note the make, model, serial numbers and other important details. Photographs of items such as jewelry are also helpful. Utilize https://savannahpd.org/reportit/ to upload serial numbers, photos and descriptions of valuable possessions. This will aid in recovery of your items, if stolen.
- Be cognizant of strangers knocking at your door. Before opening the door for anyone, ask for ID. A stranger’s knock at your door may provide them the chance to scope the inside of your house for valuables and strategize for a later return.
- Keep the outside of your home well lit. When leaving, even for short periods, lock doors and close curtains.
- Avoid posting photos of your new gifts on social media sites.
- If your holiday celebrations are out of town, hold off on posting photos and information about your travels on social media until you return to your home.
- Be a good neighbor. Pay attention to any suspicious activity or persons and call 9-1-1 immediately. Don’t delay. You may prevent a crime from being committed.
- Schedule an appointment with your precinct’s Crime Prevention Officer to evaluate the security of your residence.
Tuesday, at 1 p.m., a Crime Prevention officer will be available at SCMPD Headquarters to discuss post-holiday tips in detail.
Leave a Reply