The Savannah Police Department offers the police exploring program for our community’s youth. The objective of the program is to offer teenagers and young adults (ages 14-20) an opportunity to experience hands-on engagement and learning experiences with law enforcement professionals. Some of the requirements to become a Law Enforcement Explorer are:
- A youth, aged 14-20
- Be interested in learning about law enforcement
- Maintain a 2.1 grade point average
- Be of good moral character
- No prior convictions or serious traffic violations
- Pass a background check and oral board interview
The Savannah Police Department is committed to the development of youth programs designed to build virtuous character, promote good citizenship, develop physical and mental fitness, educate and engage youths in understanding police operations, interest them in potential law enforcement careers, and build mutual trust and respect.
Law Enforcement Explorers, through training and completion of Law Enforcement Explorer classes, can be involved in performing a multitude of law enforcement tasks. The Explorer is a civilian volunteer involved with SPD on a part-time basis.
Law Enforcement Explorers may be engaged in the following types of activities to assist a sworn police officer:
- Traffic and parking control
- Special event guides
- Typing, filing and other clerical activities
- Child identification programs
- Crime prevention programs
- Community assistance programs
- Patrol support services (only when assigned directly under the supervision of a sworn Police Officer)
- Other related duties as approved by the Post Advisor or Senior Explorer Advisor
Law Enforcement Explorers also attend one meeting a month, where they participate in hands-on training and other fun learning activities.
Why Join The Explorer Post Program?
- Hands-on training
- Make new friends
- Team-oriented environment
- Ride along program
- Learn about policing in the 21st Century
- Participate in competitions
- Opportunity for advancement
- Life Skills
Explorer Post Program Info
Applications are now being accepted for the SPD Explorer Post Program. There is a non-refundable membership due of $100. This fee includes the BSA administrative fees and insurance. The first $25 is due by the first meeting. The additional $75 may be paid in installments during the first 6 months.
CLICK HERE FOR THE APPLICATION TO SPD EXPLORER POST PROGRAM
The Learning for Life application will also need to be filled out. Please fill out this application three separate times by hand.
- Explorers will meet the third Monday of every month from 6 to 8 p.m. at the SPD Training Center, 3401 Edwin Street.
Lt. Max Nowinsky
CLICK HERE TO MAIL SGT NOWINSKY