SAVANNAH, GA (November 2, 2016): Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police are utilizing SCMPD.org to advise residents and visitors of activities surrounding Saturday’s 6th Annual Rock n’ Roll Marathon.
Roughly 18,000 runners are expected in the race, which begins on Bay Street in front of City Hall at 7:30 a.m. on Nov. 5th. Preparations for the event will begin just after midnight as police will verify that the 13-mile half-marathon and 26-mile marathon courses are free of parked vehicles.
Competitor Group of San Diego, which produces the race, has been contacting those who live along the routes over the past few weeks to advise them of the race route to ways to navigate around it.
Metro Police have posted all information on SCMPD.org, where a special section is devoted entirely to the race at https://savannahpd.org/rock-and-roll/. Last year, the site had over 25,000 hits during the event.
The website will provide live updates of the race’s progress as well as traffic information. The course map; road closures by areas with alternate access and exit routes; a complete list of all road closures specifying which areas of particular blocks will be closed and the anticipated time ranges; and a color-coded grid of the no parking zone.
Several areas are of particular note:
- Drayton Street will be closed to traffic from Park Avenue to East Hall Street from Friday throughout the race to allow for setup of the finish line.
- On Saturday, the area around Forsyth Park where the races will end and runners usually congregate to recuperate will be highly congested until roughly 4 p.m.
- Bay Street from Bull to Lincoln will experience closures beginning at around 3 a.m. on Saturday morning for the build out of the marathon starting area.
- Victory Drive becomes highly congested during the marathon due to increased traffic. Allow for extra time in your commute.
- Skidaway Road will be closed to southbound traffic at Laroche Avenue from 8:30 a.m. until about 2:45 p.m. Residents will be able to access Truman Parkway north and south from Delesseps Avenue
- Traffic on SUNDAY will be diverted in the Daffin Park and Washington Avenue areas during the annual 5k and 1 mile races.
A free concert by Old Crow Medicine Show will follow the run at Forsyth Park’s band shell. No parking will be available at or around the park. Paid parking will be available at the Liberty Street Parking Garage on a first come, first serve basis.
Parking will not be permitted along the routes after 12:01 a.m. on Saturday. Beginning at 3:30 a.m. Truman Parkway Southbound from President Street to Delesseps Avenue will be closed to all traffic.
In the event of a heat situation, course cut-offs will be put in place and runners will be directed to continue from their current location to the finish line. Please take direction from the officers should this occur.
Police urge parents to take pictures of children before the event in case of separation. Any lost children will be taken to the nearest medical tent. Medical tents will be located throughout the course.
Please visit https://savannahpd.org/rock-and-roll/ for full details about the Sixth Annual Rock n’ Roll Marathon.