SAVANNAH, GA (March 15, 2017) –The Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department’s Violent Crimes Task Force wrapped up a successful four-day operation that concluded with 11 felony arrests and eight misdemeanor arrests.
“The mission of the Task Force was to address the recent increase in violent crime by targeting prolific offenders of violent crime, to include those involved in recent incidents,” said Lt. Tonya Reid, “We targeted high crime areas where these offenders are known to frequent, as well as areas where drugs and gangs are prevalent.”
The Task Force was a collaboration between SCMPD’s End Gun Violence: Step Forward initiative, Strategic Investigation Unit, Savannah Area Regional Intelligence Center, Violent Crimes, Robbery, Crime Suppression, K-9, Aviation, Traffic Unit, and the Department of Community Supervision. Undercover and uniformed officers used intelligence-led policing methods to focus in on challenging neighborhoods, targeting specific individuals who are linked to the violence in Savannah.
“This is our community. We’re not going to tolerate the violence, and this task force helps to reinforce that message,” Special Investigations Section Commander Capt. Lenny Gunther said. “We will continue to be vigilant. Groups or individuals that ignore our message will be placed under our laser focus, just like they were here.”
Those with felony charges include:
- Desmond Tolbert, 33, possession of controlled substance
- Dominick Jackson, 33, possession of firearm by convicted felon, possession with intent, possession of controlled substance
- Phillip Moore, 22, possession of marijuana
- Stephen Walker, 24, possession of firearm by convicted felon
- Devonte Ruffin, 24, possession with intent
- Jeffrey Scott, 33, possession with intent
- Bobby Shields, 23, possession of controlled substance
- Christopher Gamble, 26, felony probation violation warrant
- Joseph Blake, 33, felony warrant
- Jahkeem Bryant, 24, possession of firearm during commission of crime
- Torrey Milton, 27, federal warrant