SAVANNAH, GA (August 22, 2016): The Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department has experienced a violent weekend to include three shootings and three robberies. Of these incidents, 2 people are deceased and one is in extreme critical condition with life-threatening injuries.
We at Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department want to be as transparent as possible as we investigate these crimes. In doing so, we do not want to compromise any investigations or hinder the hard work investigators are doing to put these perpetrators behind bars.
We want to make sure the public has the information they need to remain safe and to also dispel any rumors that may increase the public’s fear of crime.
Shootings from the Weekend
- All three shootings took place in a historically violent corridor in the Central Precinct.
- This corridor is the Metropolitan Neighborhood which includes Anderson to Victory Dr and Bull to MLK.
- 1 arrest has been made in the Friday night homicide where the victim and suspect were known to each other (new boyfriend/ex-boyfriend)
- The two females that were shot on Saturday night APPEARS TO BE A NON-RANDOM SHOOTING. One of the victims is in extreme critical condition with life-threatening injuries. The reason we have not released any names is because investigators are currently working active leads in the investigation and would like to keep the names out of the media as to not compromise the investigation.
- Investigators are working active leads in the homicide from last night (Sunday) and the victim has been identified as Reginald Washington, 43.
- We are shifting resources to adjust to crimes in those areas.
- We cannot go into specific details about where and when resources will be available because by letting you (the media) know we are also letting the bad guys who commit these crimes know.
- In a majority of our homicides and other violent crimes, we have noticed a correlation with risky behaviors. Risky behaviors and being involved with people who exhibit risky behaviors can increase threats to the entire community.
- We are offering a $10,000 award for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of any individuals involved in these homicides or any prior open homicides that remain unsolved at this time.
- SCMPD is also in the process of launching its Cold Case Unit. Several investigators are beginning training this week.
Three Robberies from Sunday/Monday
- As it relates to group violence, we do believe the three robberies from this weekend are being committed by a single group of individuals.
- 1st robbery-Whitefield Square at 11:11p.m.
- 2nd robbery/carjacking- E. Charlton and Drayton at 11:28 p.m.
- 3rd robbery/home invasion- East Park and East Broad at 3:15 am Monday
- SCMPD is also offering a $10,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of any individuals who have committed robberies in the past three months between Anderson and Bay and MLK to East Broad and are linked to the serial robbery group.
- As you know, this is an area where we have seen an increase in armed robberies potentially in the late evening and early morning hours.
- We believe that several of these recent violent crimes are linked to groups. According to the National Network for Safe Communities, all gangs are groups, but not all groups are gangs. If we solely focus on gangs, which is commonly characterized by organization and leadership, we exclude a significant number of individuals involved in serious violent crimes, such as loose neighborhood drug crews.
- End Gun Violence is being used in our everyday crime fight. Solving crimes, identifying links and offering resources to those identified in these groups to choose another path is something that we have made a culture.
- End Gun Violence is not just a program but a culture that brings every resource together to fight group and gang violence.
- Lastly, we must as a community break away from the philosophy that if you see something and say something, that it should be known as snitching.
- It is imperative that the community stands together with us in the fight against crime.
- We have approximately 240,000 plus citizens in this community. We are asking that the community assists us in our fight against crime by calling us with any tips, any descriptions and any information that may assist us in solving crimes.
- We have safeguards in place that will protect any citizen providing any information to us. Also, CrimeStoppers is an anonymous option that allows citizens to provide information without even providing their identity.