POLICE REPORTS / OPEN RECORDS2018-09-20T11:20:52+00:00

Police Report Retrieval

Brian Dale is the open records officer {as provided by O.C.G.A. § 50-18-71(b)(1)(B)} for the Savannah Police Department.  He can be reached at 912-691-6237.  The Records Unit staff are his authorized designees for the fulfillment of Open Records Act requests.  They can be reached at 912-652-6694.  All Open Records Act requests must be submitted through the following procedures.

How do I get a copy of a Police Report?

Anyone can receive a police report by simply coming to the Records Unit of SPD Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  It is located in the Chatham County Annex at 295 Police Memorial Drive. It may take up to 3 business days for requests to be processed by the Records Unit.

Open Records Act requests can be made:

  1. In person, at 295 Police Memorial Drive;
  2. Via phone at 912-652-6694;
  3. Via FAX at 912-525-1748;
  4. Via email at SCMPDOpenrecords@savannahga.gov.  (Requests made via email will be fulfilled via email, unless otherwise specified.)
  5. Reports can also be obtained by mail.  Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Savannah Police Department
Records Unit
PO Box 8032
Savannah GA 31412

Be sure to include how the department can contact you should questions arise concerning your request.

Some tips to help you in receiving a report:

  • If possible, please keep a copy of the report number that was given to you by the police officer and bring that number with you. It is called the Case Report Number (CRN).
  • If not, you must know the date and exact location where the incident occurred

Charges for reports and other public records are assessed and collected in accordance with the provisions of the Georgia Open Records Act (O.C.G.A. § 50-18-70, et seq.)  Reports can be emailed at no additional cost to the requestor when a valid email address is provided.

Please note victims of domestic violence will not be charged for obtaining a copy of a Family Violence Incident Report no matter the method of obtaining the report.

Accident Reports

Motor vehicle accident reports can be retrieved by submitting a signed statement of need to the Records Unit.  The Statement of Need may be downloaded by CLICKING HERE and may be submitted through any of the methods listed above.  (NOTE:  Please copy and paste the form into the body of any e-mail.  The City e-mail server currently rejects e-mail attachments from e-mail addresses outside of the City network.)

Accident reports can also be obtained by going to www.buycrash.com and following the instructions on the website. To retrieve a report from the internet you will need to know one of the involved party’s names, the date of the collision and the agency that took the report OR the VIN of one of the vehicles involved.