SAVANNAH, GA. (October 4, 2017): The Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Downtown Precinct detectives are investigating multiple package thefts that occurred between Aug. 16 and Sept. 6.
The first incident occurred on the 400 block of E Waldburg Street on Aug. 16. Surveillance video captured a black male in his 30s, wearing a baseball cap and red cargo shorts, walking up to a residence and stealing a package from the porch.
A few days later, on Aug. 18, video caught a black woman steal a package from the porch of the same residence. The suspect appears to be in her late 50s and wore a long purple shirt and pink skirt during the incident.
At about 7:20 a.m. on Sept. 6, Metro officers responded to report of a mail theft at a residence near Houston and E Perry streets. Reportedly, a black male in his 20s took contents from a package and left the package at a nearby square. He wore an orange shirt and black shorts at the time of the theft.
Anyone with information on the suspects’ identities can call 911. A confidential tip line is also open directly to investigators at (912) 525-3124.
Information can also be forwarded to CrimeStoppers at (912) 234-2020. CrimeStoppers tipsters remain anonymous and may qualify for a cash reward.
Tips to prevent package thefts:
- Communicate with neighbors to keep a keen eye out for suspicious activity in the neighborhood. Call Emergency 911 immediately if anyone suspicious appears in the area.
- Arrange for packages to be delivered on a day you are available.
- Arrange with businesses you are buying from to pick the item up in stores rather than having them delivered to residences if you don’t expect to be home.
- If expecting a package, try to check for them as often as possible. Thieves sometimes follow delivery trucks to locate packages. They longer they remain at the front door, the easier to steal.
- Most couriers can provide some type of electronic notification when a delivery is made. Check with the provider and sign up for alerts.
- Require a signature for receipt for all deliveries.
- Have packages delivered to your work address or to the courier’s pickup station rather than your home.