SAVANNAH, GA (February 28, 2020) – A recent operation by Savannah Police’s Alcohol Beverage Compliance Unit (ABC) into underage drinking sales resulted in eight businesses failing and 12 passing.
During the operation, which ran from February 25-26, underage subjects visited 20 businesses, ranging from restaurants and bars to convenience and package stores. The mission of the operation was to determine if businesses are complying with Georgia law and the Savannah City Ordinance concerning alcohol sales.
The managers or licensees of the establishments were notified of the alcohol sold, that the buyer was underage, if the buyer was checked for identification, how the alcohol was served or sold, and what actions would be taken by law enforcement. The Georgia Department of Revenue Alcohol and Tobacco Division will be informed of the results of the operation.
“We encourage businesses that sell alcohol to continue to train their employees,” said ABC Unit Supervisor Sgt. Samantha Stephens. “It is important to educate them on accurately verifying the age when carding individuals every time they sell alcohol.”
According to the City of Savannah’s Alcohol Beverage Ordinance, a first offense results in a minimum fine of $500; second offense, if within 12 months of the first, results in a $750 fine; third offense, if within 18 months of the first, results in a $1,000 fine; and any further offense, if within 24 months of the first, results in issuance of a notice to appear to show cause for why the establishment’s alcohol license should not be revoked.
Businesses that were cited:
- P & V Food Mart- 1402 Stiles Ave.
- Ogeechee Chevron- 3912 Ogeechee Rd.
- Ben’s Neighborhood Grill- 7080 Hodgson Memorial Dr.
- Wangs II Chinese Restaurant- 7601 Waters Ave STE A
- Country Convenience- 1102 E. Victory Dr.
- Parker’s Inc. #21- 1976 E. Victory Dr.
- Courtyard by Marriott- 6703 Abercorn St.
- NITI, Inc-Shell Gas Station- 3618 Ogeechee Rd.
The following businesses passed the operation and will receive a congratulations letter acknowledging their efforts to be in compliance with local and state law:
- Largo Beverage- 8489 Waters Ave.
- Pump N Go- 201 E. Montgomery Cross Rds.
- King and I- 7098 Hodgson Memorial Dr.
- Eisenhower BP- 2010 Eisenhower Dr.
- Walgreen’s- 2109 E. Victory Dr.
- Target- 1907 E. Victory Dr.
- JJ Bonerz- 11 W Bay St.
- Anchorage Lounge- 2501 W. Bay St.
- New Krishna Food Mart- 2726 Ogeechee Rd.
- Food Lion- 8914 White Bluff Rd.
- B & D Burgers- 11108 Abercorn St.
- Circa 1875- 48 Whitaker St.